WORKPLACE LEARNING PROGRAM AND TRAINING
This program is composed of:
1. Workplace English Language Learning Classes are for employees who have limited English proficiency. The classes are taught in the workplace and develop verbal and written English workplace skills to foster effective communication between employees and managers/supervisors. Employees develop workplace competencies in the following areas: workplace interactions, workplace safety, human resource topics, workplace culture, talking about work, and social interactions. At the same time, they practice listening, speaking, pronunciation, writing, reading, and grammar.
2. Plain Language Services support UW-Madison staff to facilitate written effective communication.
3. The Employee Learning Center helps UW-Madison employees (including J-1 visa scholars) identify and work toward educational goals to enhance opportunities for workplace advancement.
The Employee Learning Center is a drop-in center, located at 21 N. Park Street in room 1106/1108 (1st floor). The Employee Learning Center is open every Monday from 4 – 5 PM and every Wednesday from 3 – 4 PM. No appointment or registration is necessary.
Areas of instruction may include:
- English conversation, pronunciation, and listening practice
- Workplace and Research Vocabulary
- U.S.A. Culture and American Idioms
- Learning about UW-Madison
For more information, please see the Employee Learning Center Flyer:
English | Spanish | Hmong | Tibetan | Chinese
4. Multilingual Training and Information sessions in English, Spanish, Hmong, Mandarin Chinese and Tibetan.
- Work and Life Skills Training, such as Resume Writing, Understanding Earnings Statements, Using UW Libraries, and Resources Available for UW-Madison Employees
- Working Effectively with an Interpreter
- Beyond Words: Non-verbal Communication in the Workplace
- Basic Computer Classes
5. The Volunteer Tutoring Program matches employees with tutors who provide one-on-one instruction. Learners can pursue individual learning goals at convenient times and locations. A Tutor Training Certificate is offered every semester.
For additional information please see below: